Monday, August 31, 2015

Stories from the South

Since Tanner and I have moved to Alabama, we have been surprised that things aren't as different as we thought they would be. Sure, the weather is definitely warmer and more humid, we live next to a lot of large interstates, and a large amount of people have southern accents; but we've settled in relatively easily. There are a couple great moments we've had though that I thought I'd share now.

While my parents and sister were still here with us in the first week of our Alabama adventure, we went to a little southern restaurant called "The White House". It is very southern. Everyone there calls you 'honey' or 'baby', most of the customers and staff have thick southern accents, and the food is delicious home style southern cooking. After we ate our dinner, we went to the cashier to pay for our food. Tanner had ordered extra meat with his meal, but it hadn't been written down on his meal ticket, so he went to explain that to the cashier. All he said was, "I got two meats with my dinner instead of one." She looked at him with a confused expression and said (to be read in your best southern accent), "You mean you got one meat and she got one meat, or you got two meats." Tanner again explained he had ordered extra meat and it had not been written down correctly. The lady smiled and said, "Oh, I couldn't understand you with your thick Yankee accent!" It was the first time Tanner had ever been told he couldn't be understood because of his "accent"!


"The White House"

The other great story happened just this last week. Our neighbor, Don, has become a wonderful friend, and we were telling him we wished we knew some of the other neighbors better. He decided to take us over to visit an older lady that we hadn't met before while she was mowing her lawn. We started talking with this lady, and she first asked us if we went to the Fultondale schools (there are only elementary, junior high, and high schools). We, a little confused that she would think we were that young, explained that Tanner was attending UAB. She was very impressed that he was already in college, and it took her a few more minutes to figure out that I wasn't in high school either. She then kept asking us who else lived in our house, and we explained a few times that we owned the house and were the only ones that lived there. We were confused when she kept asking about what our parents did. Then after about 20 or so minutes of talking, she saw my wedding ring and asked, all surprised, if I was married. I laughed and said of course; I was married to Tanner. We then figured out that she had thought we were brother and sister and lived in the house together with our parents. I guess it's a blessing to have such youthful faces.


Do we look like siblings to you? I can't see it... :) 


On a side note, if anyone knows how to get rid of mushrooms in a yard, I spent half an hour pulling mushrooms out of our yard today and filled a whole grocery sack! Let me know if you have any advice!


I'll keep you posted about all the best from the Godfrey's Southern Living!

No comments:

Post a Comment